Thursday, August 16, 2007

You're Going to Play Division 1 Basketball?

This past weekend, I got a chance to check out a local (Sacramento, CA) tournament. I had a cousin that I hadn't seen for over a year playing in the tournament. So I hop in the car, empty my life savings into the gas tank, and head up Interstate 80. I get to the gym, and to my surprise, there were some really tall kids in the house. They're all playing on my cousin's team, and he tells me one who they are. The 6'10" kid, Terrence Jennings had a big summer and committed to Maryland University the week before. The other kid, I would say he was about 6'4", committed to University of Florida to play football. My cousin, Nathan Garth, is a 6'3" point guard committed to University of Minnesota and will be a red-shirt freshman this season.

Anyway, they were going against a team of midgets from who-knows-where. They had really nice jerseys though. The new nba kind, you now the ones made with that wick-away Under Armor material, with their last names on the back. Real classy stuff. So the game starts and I'm thinking the game is going to be a blow out. WRONG!!! The midget men put on a clinic. Perfectly executed fast breaks, set plays with double screens and all that jazz, and just sheer tenacity on the defensive end. The midget men were up by twelve points at half time. The second half is a little different as Nathan wakes up and starts attacking. Too bad no one else on the team wakes up. To make a long story short, the midget men win the game by 12, and absolutely man-handle a team with two Division 1 basketball recruits, and a super-freak, high D-1 football player. I had to give it up to them, as they put on a clinic, and had a great time on the court.

As for the team of "superstars", they could care less that they lost. Now this absolutely pissed me off because I paid to get into the game, forked over what felt like my whole pay check to fill up my gas tank, and they gave a half-ass effort on the court. If they plan on taking the "turn-it-on" mentality with them to college, they're going to be spending a lot of time on the bench. Well, here are some youtube videos of Nathan (U. Of Minnesota) and Terrence Jennings (U. Of Maryland). Enjoy.

Nathan Garth

Terrence Jennings

No comments: